Monday, May 26, 2014

A Saturday Afternoon Helper

I met Shemar this past weekend while putting together a grill on a friend's patio.  It's a very large apartment complex, with the rear of several buildings facing each other to create a very nice landscaped community backyard. Several children had been playing together earlier in this “backyard.”  However, Shemar seemed to appear after the others had left.  After looking curiously at what I was doing, he began to chat with me.  He shared with me the usual details as we chatted: age 7, second grade, likes cartoons, riding his bike, etc.  However, suddenly Shemar shared with me that he didn't think he has a Dad.  Naturally, I informed him that everyone has a Dad, to which he clarified that his Mother didn't know where he was. 

Life isn't always simple, and there may be valid reasons for his Father's absence.  However, hearing a seven year old explain his Father's absence was painful.  I quickly changed the subject and engaged him in other conversation while completing my task.  As the time went by, I noticed that no adult had appeared. I expected to soon hear a voice calling for him to return, but there was none.  As Shemar began to assist me in putting together the grill, I couldn’t help but to imagine how easily a child could disappear into a stranger's apartment in a very large complex.  I couldn't help but to think of how kind, mannerly, and trusting he was.  I also couldn't help but to consider just how badly he wanted the attention of a male figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment